Nature of the mind
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
View user profile

1964 Ford Mustang Empty 1964 Ford Mustang

Thu Feb 10, 2022 4:11 pm
On the walk back home after I dropped my daughter Caroline off at school today, I passed an old Ford Mustang. It was in mint condition. I thought about how Caroline has probably never seen a car like this, much less sat in one. I started to vividly imagine how much fun it would be to go for a drive in this classic car with her.

Later during the same walk I passed an electric slow cooker, a crock-pot, on the sidewalk in front of a building. In my neighborhood of Brooklyn it is commonplace to put in front of your building anything in usable condition that you don't need anymore, and anyone may take it for free. So many various things are always being put out that there is almost nothing you could not have for free if you were patient enough. So I saw this crock-pot in good condition, just sitting there, for free. I thought about all the great stews and soups I could make with it, imagining how easy it would be and how delicious they would taste.

But here's the thing. Prior to coming upon these things outside, I was in no way wanting for them, dreaming of them, or planning ways to get them. Before seeing them, I had no interest in them or thought about them whatsoever. For me it was very similar to seeing a box of chocolates and wanting one. I have gone days, months, without even thinking of chocolate, let alone really wanting any. I'd wager that in the right situation, maybe moving to some other country, perhaps years or the rest of my life could go by without even a single thought of chocolate.

I know I'm not saying anything new here, but, how much of our lives are some impulse to have or take action arising in a similar way. And then we take that impulse as us, we want to do some thing, we have to do some thing. But that impulse is just the situation. It's just what you get when you put Bob next to a box of chocolates. Bob can have a chocolate, or you can remove the box of chocolates, and the issue would be resolved all the same. When I deeply see I only sense want for this thing because I'm seeing it, not because it is some genuine aspiration or need, the want dissolves. I've removed the box of chocolates without doing anything. It's a curious feeling, and peaceful.
Admin
View user profilehttps://natureofthemind.forumattivo.com

1964 Ford Mustang Empty Re: 1964 Ford Mustang

Tue Feb 15, 2022 9:43 pm
I have to read more carefully your post. Could you be so kind to explain again? Pheraps my english is not enought good,
View user profile

Wed Feb 16, 2022 3:23 am
Sure. I mention 3 different examples from my day:
  • a special rare car on the street
  • a free kitchen appliance being given away
  • a box of chocolates
In each of these cases, seeing them gave rise to thoughts and fantasy about having them or using them in some way.

But, these thoughts and fantasies I did not have prior. It is not that I was reminded of them by the objects. They were created on the spot by the objects themselves.

In one way, these were my thoughts and desires. But in another way, an important way, they are not mine at all. I do not need to identify myself with them. I do not need to pursue them. They did not come purely from me, instead they came from the situation.

Seeing that they are not intrinsically me or from me, but rather they are simply the result of the situation, they are no longer persuasive.
Seeing for example I did not at all want chocolate before, and that I only wanted it upon seeing it, I also know I would no longer want the chocolate if it wasn't there.
I can take the next step and dissolve the craving for the chocolate and my idea of the chocolate on the spot, even though the chocolate may still be there.

For a silly example like chocolate, this may not change one's life. But watching this mechanism in play for all kinds of wants and desires throughout our day, and knowing another type of reaction we can have, can change our life.
Admin
View user profilehttps://natureofthemind.forumattivo.com

Wed Feb 16, 2022 1:38 pm
Yes, that means the the identity, i like the car, Is formed when the obeerver looks at the vision. The vision and the mind support each other. And for this reason in the buddism the mind Is an illusion, empty and conditioned. In fact depending from conditions, external or internal , including the memory and the karma, any sigle moment transitory identities are formed. And linking all of them, we create and illusory story called " my life". The deeply understanding of this Is the Heart of the buddhismo. Depending from this there Is no sense to create sufferings or to grasp anything. And we meditate to have the experiences of the illusory of the vision and the mind.

View user profile

Wed Feb 16, 2022 4:17 pm
Yes.

There is another thing I find interesting. This knowledge and experience itself is also part of your internal conditions, and mixed with other internal and external conditions gives rise to some particular mind, personality, etc. Even if one fully realized it on the deepest level, as Eleonora mentioned, "the dream goes on." So it's interesting to me what would happen next as this knowledge itself is part of the dream, the vision.

It seems to me, that if we experience it strongly enough, we have freedom in what type of world we want to be creating in our minds. One could use their freedom to disengage and let go of worries and goals. Or one could use their freedom to care even more deeply for whoever they encounter, feeling any or all of:
  • Nothing was ever mine so I have nothing to lose.
  • Everything is me and mine so I have nothing to lose.
  • I have always been complete and whole from the start, so I have nothing to lose.
  • Everyone I encounter is my dream and creation, I wish for their happiness.
  • Everyone I encounter is me, their happiness is my happiness.

And so on.
If so many roads lead to Rome, maybe also so many roads are available to continue on after.

I'm reminded again of Rinpoche's poem, "Who am I?"
https://cybersangha.net/wp-content/uploads/2020/10/i-who-am-i.pdf
https://cybersangha.net/wp-content/uploads/2020/10/italianio-chi-sono-io-i-who-am-i-italian-final.pdf

You can see the video of him reading it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5GdmbpU8UpA

I — who am I?
I am no one
I can be anyone
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum