Nature of the mind
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
View user profile

taking a leap Empty taking a leap

Mon Dec 13, 2021 5:25 pm
After this paragraph are a few of my notes and thoughts from some classes and books of Rinpoche's. Any wisdom is Rinpoche's but any mistakes, misunderstandings, out of context quoting, and poor summarizations are mine. To me those notes and some experiences I had in these classes paint an almost unbelievable yet deeply beautiful picture of life, our existence. I'm left feeling that if I'm ever stuck that actually I'm not, I'm just not seeing. That it's not possible to be truly stuck. Also that if I'm sensitive enough, and get out of the way, there's always some beauty and some joy available. I can allow myself to be happy for no reason at all. That I've been playing by the wrong rules, or maybe the wrong game entirely, my whole life. I've seen some very positive changes in my life, but often I'm still mostly playing by the old rules. When is change gradual, and when is it a leap? Through sharing here maybe I will come closer to taking the leap, and maybe it will also be helpful to someone else.

In the Fivefold Teachings, you can start with an issue or without an issue. With an issue, you dissolve the issue and then your own mind, or the one who is looking, going on to discover emptiness and clear light, their union, and the bliss and other positive qualities arising out of that union. Starting without an issue, you start instead with your body, feelings and perceptions, and see all of them as "vision, dynamic energy, pure energy", you're seeing them as your mind. Your mind as empty, open. Your awareness there as light. And so you still go through the steps and arrive at the same place.

In Dream Yoga you try to recognize the dream state so you can work with it, giving your mind the experience of more flexibility, seeing things as less solid, and more open. Your work in dreams affects your waking life. At the same time, to help become lucid in dream, you work on being lucid in waking life, seeing everything as vision, as dream. You recognize that your mind is projecting, not passively receiving. Around the clock through day and night, helping each other, you loosen how solid you take things to be, and what you identify with.

Rinpoche's gives teachings on at least 3 different types of zhine: focusing on a picture of the Tibetan A, vocalizing the syllable hung, or working with the three precious pills. You become aware of the stillness of the body, silence of the speech, spaciousness of the mind. You connect with that awareness and then rest in that connection. Through resting in the awareness of that connection you allow yourself to merge with the stillness, silence, spaciousness. "At some point, you might feel without drawing attention anywhere, you are that spaciousness, that you are that infinite space and sky, beyond subject and object. Allow that experience. Allow that awareness. Rest in that awareness."

There's a poem Rinpoche wrote and gave a class on, "Who Am I?". It starts with, "I - who am I? I am no one. I can be anyone."
At one point during the class he said, "When you identify less with pain and limitation, more with openness and awareness, the same situation changes, not too bad. When you see the same situation with totally open, with so much awareness, so much joy, so much love, the same situation completely changes. It becomes opportunity, not obstacle. It becomes a door, not a blockages. It becomes resources, not a limitation." At another, "...many time people pay attention to when you're suffocating, when you're in pain, when you're happy they don't pay attention. So it's more important to feel the space. Feel the space, be in that space, familiarize with that space, feel more confidence in that space, and allow that space to give birth to other beautiful experiences. Like joy coming out of that space, freedom, joy of freedom, love of freedom, confidence of that freedom, generosity of that freedom. I can give but I will never lose anything, because I have nothing to lose, because I never had anything anyway. But if I have something to give, I give."

Rinpoche writes in Awakening the Sacred Body: "And what you, the perceiver, perceive, since you do not recognize that what you are seeing is yourself, is something other, something "out there." Thus duality is created. When you see something other, the only way to go is "I like it," or "I don't like it." I like it--attachment. I don't like it--aversion, anger."

"You need to recognize: Who is the one who is afraid? Who is the one who doubts? Who is that? That identity is not who you really are. It is not your authentic being. It is a habit, a structure of wind that can be released, freeing your consciousness to become more subtly present and alive and vital. ...As important as it is to recognize this, it is much more important not to analyze or judge this experience; simply feel it."

Rinpoche writes in Awakening the Luminous Mind: "So be aware of the space as you engage in the activity of life. Maintain the connection between the space and the action, the experiencer and the experiences, the base and the appearances, emptiness and clarity. To maintain that experience is very important. Simply put: when you are dealing with things, continue to be aware of space. When you are aware of spaciousness and can deal with a situation and not get caught up or lost in the activity, but can continuously refresh and maintain awareness of the space, that is Clear light is union in everyday life."
"No matter what happens around you, it is not shaking you, because you have recognized stillness, silence, and spaciousness -- and you are that."

Rinpoche writes in Spontaneous Creativity: "According to dzogchen, to attain spiritual maturity, it is not enough to realize your natural mind; you need to integrate this realization with your everyday experience. And it is not enough to integrate this with everyday experience; you need to give birth to positive qualities. Finally, it is not enough to give birth to positive qualities; you need to develop the means to express them for the welfare of others."

Luke P likes this post

Admin
View user profilehttps://natureofthemind.forumattivo.com

taking a leap Empty taking a leap

Tue Dec 14, 2021 4:43 pm
Thank you Bob, to have started to use the forum. In a way it's seems that the process is quite simple but when you start to apply it become very difficult and complex.
Complex because from the nature of the mind emerges all we call mind, world, life, everything. So it's very, very easy to be distracted.

What happends during meditation is so rich, powerful and full of energy that it's hard to remain concentrate.

And this is the point because the thaechings says that after the dead , without the body, mind is much more mobile and restless.

And is very difficult as well because we are so identify with the mind ( body, words and thoughts) that to start to identify with the nature of the mind is very deep revolution.

I'm 58 years old, I think that is the only thing that matter in life. The rest is at best an ornament, at worst a distraction or a suffering.

View user profile

taking a leap Empty Re: taking a leap

Wed Dec 15, 2021 5:27 am
I find easy agreement with almost everything you wrote, but I think there may be something to dig into when you wrote:
"I think that is the only thing that matter in life. The rest is at best an ornament, at worst a distraction or a suffering."

I personally think there's a difficult (for me) yet beautiful balance we must work at attaining. We need the openness of course, connection to the spaciousness. But we also need the awareness, the light, the visions, we should not downplay them. I think pure spaciousness, with no engagement with the visions in our awareness, is missing out on life. Of course, pure engagement, with no connection to the spaciousness is the opposite problem, the original problem.

So to do both, in a deep way, is maybe a good goal. Now again, I want to compare it to playing a game and giving all your effort, while at every moment knowing full well it is only a game, and even one that may soon be over and forgotten. You still try your best, you still get all the joy out of it you can, you're excited to see how it will turn out, but whenever things go wrong, you can fully accept it, because those are the rules of the game, and it is only a game anyhow. At the same time, you don't totally ignore the game by saying it is "only a game", that isn't so much fun especially when the game is actually quite spectacular to play. This analogy isn't entirely right, but some of it points to what I'm feeling.

Best,
Bob
View user profile

Wed Dec 22, 2021 2:53 am
Very rich discussion, thank you. Let's see if I can express a feeling that came up: our love for the light feeds our practice. It's the light itself that is overflowing...these days I don't feel like I have to ( or can volitionally) identify with the light or try to integrate it with life ( when I try that, I get tight and stuck); it's more like letting the light flow and overflow. Meditation is a bit like tunning a harp, then, letting the wind play it. Sounds a bit vague, I know, but it has to do with letting go of the controller.
Admin
View user profilehttps://natureofthemind.forumattivo.com

Wed Dec 22, 2021 9:44 am
Very inspired message, thank you Eleonora . It helps very much to share these experiences. Yes I often feel the same. It's a very deep sensation , difficult to express. Coming to the music, to allow the music to be. Coming to actions, things find their own way to be. Without to push them.
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum